In the News
OCTOBER. 4 - 6:15 - First Friday @ THE New Britain Museum of American Art
WOMEN IN NATURE, From Corset Bound to Breathing Free
Gallery Talk with Melissa Croghan, Ph.D., connecting Women in Nature to the Fabulous Art Collection at New Britain Museum.
*This Talk is also part of a bigger, very cool set of events with music and refreshment at NBMAA on this night.
Saturday, October 5 - 10:15 am - In the classroom at FVAC
At the studio next to mine – 4A at Farmington Valley Art Center
A medley of Prose and Poetry – a lively Reading By Melissa Croghan
Book Signing & Artshow Video
Feature Articles in The Hartford Courant
The Hartford Courant, The WriteStuff: The Tracking Heart “Connecticut author and artist Melissa Croghan will give a free reading from her novel, “The Tracking Heart” (Nepaug Press, $14.95) at Simsbury Library.”
The Hartford Courant, The Artful Life: Art Show and Book Signing “Many artists have been inspired by the events of September 11, 2001, to create artworks to draw attention to patriotism, grief or healing, Melissa Croghan focuses on all three.”
The Hartford Courant: Charter Oak Cultural Center Melissa’s MOTHER AMERICA “Croghan recently published novel “The Tracking Heart” has been receiving accolades. Professional critics from the Kirkus Review to best-selling New York Times authors have spoken favorably about the book.”
Watch for the exact date and time for these other exciting venues to come.
THE TRACKING HEART 2013 Speaking Engagements to Book Clubs
- March: The Hartford Book Club
- Early Fall: The New Britain Museum of Art, BREATHE FREE, lecture by Dr. Croghan, who will tie the theme of "Women in Nature" to the fabulous art collection at NBMAA
Melissa Croghan's Novel: THE TRACKING HEART
Find out about forest ranger Callie Major and the bear, not to mention her old best friend, Newton Denman who is on the run from an accusation of arson and the death of a beloved art teacher in Callie's and Newton's home town. This is a suspense, a love story, and a hymn to nature.
The book is available at SELECTED book stores, libraries, and amazon.com
First Saturday Open Studios
Melissa Croghan's studio is located at the Farmington Valley Arts Center, Studio 4A, artsfvac.org. Each month the Studio Artists open their doors on the first Saturday for a FREE visit. Tour the twenty studios, shop and collect pieces from painters, printers, photographers, sculptors, potters, jewelry artists and seat weavers. Come, visit and browse or Contact Melissa if you would like to schedule a visit.
FVAC, Studio 4A
27 Arts Center Lane
Avon , CT 06001
In the Sanctuary at The Charter
Previous 2012 Events
- June 29 - July 29, 2013, The Character of Mackinac at the Mackinac Island Public Library
- February 7, 2013, The Simsbury Library Solo Art Show and Book Signing for The Tracking Heart
- November 29, 2012 - January 4, 2013 Charter Oak Cultural Center
- November 27 - Reading from the Tracking Heart, Avon Public Library
- October 21 - Lecture/Reading on Storytelling Art, The Hartford Art & Framing
- September 25 - October 19 - Signs of the Four, an exhibit of work by 4 women painters, Hartford Fine Art & Framing Co.
- August 12 - A READING from THE TRACKING HEART on Mackinac Island
- August 14 - Melissa's oil painting, "Portrait of Daisy" becomes part of premier American art collector, Richard Manoogian's collection.
- August 15 - Melissa's Book Signing at The Island Bookstore, Mackinac Island
- August 21 - Melissa's workshop: Narrative Art at the Mackinac Island Museum
- September 9 - Participation in annual book fair in Ann Arbor, Michigan, with THE TRACKING HEART
2011 - Melissa's The Real and the Marvelous Mother America Series has been attracting attention in the press, shows, and in her interactive exhibits.
Croghan was a featured artist several times in The Hartford Courant, with a write-up and photo of her oil painting "Walking Wounded" in CT NOW, and an article on The Real & Marvelous Mother America art show reception at the Drezner Gallery in ITOWNS, along with an earlier publication online and in print, of "Childhood."
SIMSBURY PATCH Article "Exhibit of Paintings Inspired by 9/11 at Farmington Valley Arts Center"
AVON PATCH Aritcle "Words and Images, Real and Marvelous: The artwork of Melissa Croghan"
2012 - Exhibition: Melissa Croghan The Branches of Humanity. Read article about the show
2011 - Croghan's oil painting "Bridge of Colors, Essex" has become part of The Connecticut Collection at The The Hartford UCONN Hospital, a permanent collection of art, including work by Sol le Wit and Alexander Calder.
Painting & Poem
Croghan's painting and poem of the same title, BLUE TREE, was published in the fall/winter issue of the journal Verse Wisconsin.