In the News
Poems & Paintings of Mackinac & Beyond
by Melissa Croghan
Born in Washington, D.C., Melissa Croghan is an award-winning poet and artist whose work has appeared in numerous journals and publications. Her novel The Tracking Heart, published in 2012, has received critical plaudits from Kirkus Reviews and has had popular readership.
A former editor at Boulevard, an English professor, and a Poet-in-the-Schools in Connecticut, Croghan holds Masters and Ph.D. degrees from The University of Pennsylvania. With her “Mother America Series” and her most recent excavations in poetry and art, Melissa Croghan is a poet who breaks new ground in the interdisciplinary boundaries between art and literature.
Art & Poetry on Simsbury Public TV (Cliff Walk)
Friday, May 23, 2014 - 7:30 pm: Poetry Reading with Art from Melissa's new release: CLIFF WALK at The Arts Café, 9 Water St., Mystic, CT
MACKINAC ISLAND 2014 - SAVE THE DATE
Friday, June 27, 2014 - 4:00pm: A Reading with Artwork from CLFF WALK, Poems and Paintings of Mackinac, & Beyond 2014 Author Series at the Mackinac Island Library
Thursday, July 3, 2014 - 4:00pm: Reception for ‘Environmental Art Show’ The Mackinac Library, Melissa’s oil paintings “Island Weather” and “Mackinac Poetry” will be on view, June 30 – July 30, 2014
Sunday, July 13, 2014, 1:00 - 3:00pm - Book Signing for CLIFF WALK at “The Island Bookstore”, Mackinac Island
Aug. 8, 2014, 7:30pm, Melissa’s “Self Portrait,” lecture on poetry and painting linked to the film, FRIDA, at Mission Point, Mackinac Island Film Series
Book Signing & Artshow Video
Feature Articles in The Hartford Courant
The Hartford Courant, The WriteStuff: The Tracking Heart “Connecticut author and artist Melissa Croghan will give a free reading from her novel, “The Tracking Heart” (Nepaug Press, $14.95) at Simsbury Library.”
The Hartford Courant, The Artful Life: Art Show and Book Signing “Many artists have been inspired by the events of September 11, 2001, to create artworks to draw attention to patriotism, grief or healing, Melissa Croghan focuses on all three.”
The Hartford Courant: Charter Oak Cultural Center Melissa’s MOTHER AMERICA “Croghan recently published novel “The Tracking Heart” has been receiving accolades. Professional critics from the Kirkus Review to best-selling New York Times authors have spoken favorably about the book.”
Watch for the exact date and time for these other exciting venues to come.
THE TRACKING HEART 2013 Speaking Engagements to Book Clubs
- March: The Hartford Book Club
- Early Fall: The New Britain Museum of Art, BREATHE FREE, lecture by Dr. Croghan, who will tie the theme of "Women in Nature" to the fabulous art collection at NBMAA
Melissa Croghan's Novel: THE TRACKING HEART
Find out about forest ranger Callie Major and the bear, not to mention her old best friend, Newton Denman who is on the run from an accusation of arson and the death of a beloved art teacher in Callie's and Newton's home town. This is a suspense, a love story, and a hymn to nature.
The book is available at SELECTED book stores, libraries, and amazon.com
First Saturday Open Studios
Melissa Croghan's studio is located at the Farmington Valley Arts Center, Studio 4A, artsfvac.org. Each month the Studio Artists open their doors on the first Saturday for a FREE visit. Tour the twenty studios, shop and collect pieces from painters, printers, photographers, sculptors, potters, jewelry artists and seat weavers. Come, visit and browse or Contact Melissa if you would like to schedule a visit.
FVAC, Studio 4A
27 Arts Center Lane
Avon , CT 06001
In the Sanctuary at The Charter
- Friday, May 23, 2014 - 7:30 pm: Poetry Reading with Art from Melissa's new release: CLIFF WALK at The Arts Café, 9 Water St., Mystic, CT
- October 5, 2013 - 10:15 am - In the classroom at FVAC, A medley of Prose and Poetry – a lively Reading By Melissa Croghan
- OCTOBER. 4, 2013 - First Friday @ THE New Britain Museum of American Art, WOMEN IN NATURE, From Corset Bound to Breathing Free
- June 29 - July 29, 2013, The Character of Mackinac at the Mackinac Island Public Library
- February 7, 2013, The Simsbury Library Solo Art Show and Book Signing for The Tracking Heart
- November 29, 2012 - January 4, 2013 Charter Oak Cultural Center
- November 27 - Reading from the Tracking Heart, Avon Public Library
- October 21 - Lecture/Reading on Storytelling Art, The Hartford Art & Framing
- September 25 - October 19 - Signs of the Four, an exhibit of work by 4 women painters, Hartford Fine Art & Framing Co.
- August 12 - A READING from THE TRACKING HEART on Mackinac Island
- August 14 - Melissa's oil painting, "Portrait of Daisy" becomes part of premier American art collector, Richard Manoogian's collection.
- August 15 - Melissa's Book Signing at The Island Bookstore, Mackinac Island
- August 21 - Melissa's workshop: Narrative Art at the Mackinac Island Museum
- September 9 - Participation in annual book fair in Ann Arbor, Michigan, with THE TRACKING HEART
2011 - Melissa's The Real and the Marvelous Mother America Series has been attracting attention in the press, shows, and in her interactive exhibits.
Croghan was a featured artist several times in The Hartford Courant, with a write-up and photo of her oil painting "Walking Wounded" in CT NOW, and an article on The Real & Marvelous Mother America art show reception at the Drezner Gallery in ITOWNS, along with an earlier publication online and in print, of "Childhood."
SIMSBURY PATCH Article "Exhibit of Paintings Inspired by 9/11 at Farmington Valley Arts Center"
AVON PATCH Aritcle "Words and Images, Real and Marvelous: The artwork of Melissa Croghan"
2012 - Exhibition: Melissa Croghan The Branches of Humanity. Read article about the show
2011 - Croghan's oil painting "Bridge of Colors, Essex" has become part of The Connecticut Collection at The The Hartford UCONN Hospital, a permanent collection of art, including work by Sol le Wit and Alexander Calder.
Painting & Poem
Croghan's painting and poem of the same title, BLUE TREE, was published in the fall/winter issue of the journal Verse Wisconsin.